As part of our on-going improvements and efforts to making our website 'Accessible to All', we are pleased to announce that our web site is speech-enabled with 'Free to download' software. This latest improvement will certainly help those with reading difficulties, literacy problems, mild vision difficulties and where English is not their first language can now use this and some websites more easily.
BrowseAloud reads web pages aloud for people who find it difficult to read online. Reading large amounts of text on screen can be difficult for those with literacy and visual impairments.
BrowseAloud features include the following:
- Reads web pages aloud in a human-sounding voice
- Reads secure web pages
- Reads PDF and Microsoft Word® Word documents in their original format
- Highlights each word as it is spoken to show you where you are on the page
- Magnifies text to your chosen font size and font style
- Translates word-for-word between English, French, German, Italian and Spanish
- Looks up accurate dictionary definitions
- Converts text to MP3 to be saved onto computers as well portable media devices
- Masks information on the screen to help you focus on a particular area
BrowseAloud features and options are accessed from an easy to use, floating toolbar (see above). You can position this toolbar anywhere on your screen or hide from view, as you prefer.
Who does BrowseAloud help?
BrowseAloud helps any website visitor who requires online reading support. This includes those with learning difficulties such as dyslexia, mild visual impairments and those with English as a second language.
Download BrowseAloud from the BrowseAloud Download Page (this will open in a new window).