Planning Information


The answers to many general planning enquiries can be found on the national Planning Portal website or on Horsham District Council's FAQ's webpage. Developments are considered with respect to local and national planning policies and any planning constraints that apply to the site. Details of some of the more common constraints are listed on our local planning advice pages.

Once you have undertaken all the necessary research into the planning history and national and local policies you can decide which type of application to make. In most cases you will need to make a ‘full’ application. More information on the need for planning permission for householder development can be found in the visual guidance on household projects available on the Planning Portal. Should you require formal confirmation on the lawfulness of a development you may submit an application for a certificate of lawful use for either existing or proposed development as appropriate.

To lodge your planning application you can download an application form and guidance notes which should be returned to the Council Offices, Park North, North Street, Horsham, RH12 1RL. If you need help in completing the form you can visit the Planning Reception at the Council Offices for assistance. However, Horsham District Council encourages on-line submission of planning applications via the Planning Portal and believes this provides a quicker and more efficient service.

After an application has been lodged, it will be validated to ensure all the relevant details have been provided.

Once validated there will be a consultation period when the application will be publicised and certain other interested parties will be contacted, including immediate neighbours and Parish or Neighbourhood Councils. All applications can be viewed and tracked within the planning public access system or at the Council Offices. During this consultation period comments can be made by anyone, either in writing to Horsham District Council or via the on-line comments facility in the planning public access system.

Planning Decisions on householder type applications are usually completed within 7-8 weeks.

If, as the Applicant, you believe an incorrect decision has been reached you have the right to lodge a Planning Appeal. Appeals can be tracked using the same methods used to view applications in the planning public access system.  There is no right of appeal for neighbours or third parties.

For more information on making planning applications and the system as a whole, you can visit the Planning Portal, an online guide to local planning.  If you have carried out the necessary research and are still uncertain whether your application is likely to be successful in planning terms, or if you want to see what the Council thinks about your proposal before you have detailed drawings available, you can submit a preliminary enquiry in writing or by e mail , enclosing sketch plans and a written description, to obtain our informal view on your proposal.  If you have already obtained detailed drawings which include a location plan as well as existing and proposed layouts and elevation plans of the proposed extension(s), outbuilding(s) or dwelling(s) (which should be dimensioned if not drawn accurately to a recognised metric scale) you can supply these instead.

For simple enquiries we will endeavour to provide an informal written opinion within 28 working days as to whether planning permission is needed and if it is likely to succeed, as this enables us to research the property planning history, local and national planning policies for the area as well as the land/property concerned, however, more complex enquiries may take longer.

For properties within the South Downs National Park there will be a charge for preliminary enquiries from 7th January 2013.  Charges for the rest of Horsham District will be reviewed in Spring 2013.