Motor Salvage Operator

What is Registration
Any person who carries on a business that involves the recovery of salvageable parts from motor vehicles and the subsequent sale or disposal for scrap of the remainder of the vehicle, or the purchase of 'written off' vehicles for repair or resale, or other related activities needs to register with the District Council.

Please note this information only applies to businesses operating in the Horsham District Council area. If you are operating elsewhere you should contact that local authority.

Who needs to Register
Anyone who is involved in operating a motor salvage business in the Horsham District Council area should seek registration with the Council and anyone trading without being registered is committing a criminal offence. Anyone not registered should do so immediately. Please read the attached guidance notes before completing the application form.

Anyone who is seeking to operate such a business for the first time will need to be registered before they can begin trading. Before seeking registration you should first have obtained suitable premises and planning permission - contact the HDC Planning Department.

You may also need to hold an Environment Agency Waste Management Licence - contact the Environment Agency  also see position statement when a motor vehicle is considered to be waste

Guidance and Advice
Details of records which operators are required to be kept can be found in the extracts from The Motor Salvage Operators Regulations 2002 attachments below.

Motor Salvage Regulations 2002

Vehicle (Crime) Act 2001 

Public Register
Please note that your application will be available for public inspection and posted on the Council’s website.

Changes to Registration/Licence
Once you have registered you should contact the Licensing Officer on 01403-215471/215488 if there is any change to your circumstances who will advise whether you need to apply for a new licence.

Andy Skipper
Licensing Inspector
Horsham District Council
Park North
North Street, Horsham
West Sussex. RH12 1RL
Telephone: 01403-215471/215488