Flood Information

If water is coming into your property now, dial 999 and ask for the fire brigade. Follow the advice on what you should do.

More information on dealing with flooding can be found in the summary document at the bottom of this page.

How to check your flood risk
You can find out if you are at risk of flooding by visiting The Environment Agency's website at: www.environment-agency.gov.uk.

Floodline: Call 0845 988 1188 for flood warning information and general advice.

Please note that Horsham District Council WILL NOT provide sandbags to residents so that they can protect their own personal property. The Council's approach is aligned to the West Sussex Sandbag Protocol which prioritises sandbag use during flooding events to:
a) Protect local essential services such as hospitals and sub-stations,
b) Defend strategic areas – e.g. divert water away from key access routes where people are at risk.

Responsibility for protecting personal and commercial property from flooding in West Sussex lies with the occupiers themselves.

Where to buy sandbags
Sandbags can be purchased from a variety of local suppliers across the Horsham district. Below is a list of companies who may stock sandbags and/or similar products:

  • Wickes: Crawley – Denvale Retail Park - Tel: 01293 465300 or Brighton – Davigdor Road - Tel: 01273 207766.
    Sandbag 33x76cm - Wickes
  • Travis Perkins: Crawley – Crawley Road - Tel: 01293 851355 or Pulborough – Station Approach - Tel: 01798 873811. 
  • Building Centre Horsham – Crawley Road - Tel: 01403 216700. www.construction.co.uk  
  • B&Q: Crawley – London Road - Tel: 01293 611651 or Shoreham-by-sea – Brighton Road - Tel: 01273 463423
  • Homebase: Horsham – Broadbridge Heath – Tel: 08456 407471 or Crawley – West Green – Tel: 08456 407087 or Hove – Old Shoreham Road – Tel: 08456 407076
  • Jewsons: Crawley – Stephenson Way – Tel: 01293 523161 or Cranleigh – The Common – Tel: 01483 273511
  • For alternative sandbags: Search the Blue Pages Directory

It should be noted that sandbags are not always the answer to flood protection. Circumstances where sandbags are not be effective are as follows:

  • If water is already in the property the use of sand bags is redundant as this will trap water already in the property.
  • Houses with no solid foundations i.e. the water is coming up through the floorboards (common in ancient properties)
  • Sandbags are proven to be only partially effective and some water will always enter the property.

You may also want to:

Report flooding, where you are not in immediate danger: Contact the Environment Incident hotline on 0800 80 70 60 (Freephone*, 24 hour service.)
*Calls from mobile phones are not free and will be charged at normal network operator's call rates.).

Contact the Environment Agency
Phone: 0800 807060 (Freephone, 24 hour service)
Provides up to date information about current floods and information about the current levels of rivers and the sea and historical information to assess the current situation.


The main advice to residents over the winter holiday period is:

  • Sign up for flood alerts from the Environment Agency website and use its flood alert warnings service for information and advice.
  • Floodline: Call Floodline on 0845 988 1188 for flood warning information and general advice (24 hour service) or Type Talk 0845 602 6340.
  • Report drain and pothole problems to the West Sussex County Council.

Information and advice is available through the following leaflets available to download and links to further websites. The panel to the right gives details of any local flood warnings.

Last updated: 2 January 2014

Summary guidance on dealing with flooding

Summary guidance on dealing with flooding (101.91 Kb)

Rights and Responsibilities of Living by a Water Course

Rights and Responsibilities of Living by a Water Course (235.23 Kb)
The purpose of this leaflet is to explain the rights and responsibilities of property owners and residents whose property is adjacent to any form of watercourse.

Preparing for a flood

Preparing for a flood (361.34 Kb)
A practical advice on what to do to protect you and your property. This leaflet contains useful information to help you reduce the effects of flooding on you and your property.

Advice of what to do during a flood

Advice of what to do during a flood (292.72 Kb)
This leaflet tells you what you can do to stay safe during a flood and help protect your property. This file is a PDF document and may require the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. You can download this utility by clicking on the left side link.

Practical advice on recovering from a flood

Practical advice on recovering from a flood (241.94 Kb)
A document to help people who have been affected by flooding. This file is a PDF document and may require the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. You can download this utility by clicking on the left side link.

Links to useful Flood information

Environment Agency's information
Sensible advice and do's and don'ts.

Association of British Insurers' Q and A
Answers many questions relating to flooding and insurance.

Citizens Advice Bureau

Crisis Loans and Grants
The Department of Work and Pensions Social Fund can make grants to people on benefit to help with short term needs like replacing or repairing essential furniture or clothing lost or damaged in the flooding. Crisis loans may be available to cover the immediate needs of people not on benefit. For more information, contact your local Benefits Agency.

A directory of information about your area, accessed by post code.

homecheck.co.uk and home-envirosearch.com
Assessments of hidden environmental risks in your locality.

Building Research Establishment

Energy Saving Trust

UK Climate Impacts Programme