Coronavirus: Building control service updates
Last updated: January 18 2021
We are pleased to let you know that while the offices may be shut, our staff are working remotely and the Building Control service remains open for business. However, to protect both you and our employees, we have had to introduce some changes in the way we provide our service provision.
Building Regulations applications
These can be submitted online in the normal process using the following link:
- Please make sure you include your email address and contact number so we can respond electronically to you.
- If you need help in completing an application online do contact us, by email in the first instance and not by post.
Requests for site visits should be made in the normal manner on our Book a site inspection page and the surveyor will contact you to agree the method of inspection and the information required. This should be submitted on the same day to demonstrate compliance.
When booking a site visit we will ask you the following:
- Has anyone at the site to be visited been ill and displayed typical coronavirus symptoms, such as a new, continuous cough, a high temperature, a loss of smell or a loss of taste?
- Has anyone at the site returned to this country from abroad within the last 2 weeks? If anyone at the site has returned to this country from abroad within the last 2 weeks, any site visit will be delayed by at least two weeks.
- Will there be vulnerable people on site? If there are vulnerable people on site we will discuss with you, in the interests of personal and public safety, whether a site visit can take place and, if so, what restrictions will need to be in place during our visit.
- Could we carry out the inspection without anyone else being present, if necessary?
- Who will we be meeting on the site visit? We can only meet with one nominated person during a site visit.
Please remember that without appropriate evidence of compliance, we may not be able to issue a completion certificate.
Site visit procedure
- To reduce personal contact we will usually only undertake statutory external inspections of properties. However, if we believe that an internal inspection of part or all of a property is necessary, this can be considered following the preparation of a risk assessment by us if it shows that the inspection can be done safely and without risk to the person carrying out the inspection. In such cases, the requirements, which have to be met, will be specified by us prior to the inspection.
- Subject to agreement from the Building Control Surveyor, we may accept photographs and video recordings in lieu of a physical inspection for certain types of inspection.
- Any discussions about the work will only take place with the nominated person and this will be restricted to the external environment.
- We will minimise contact with everyone on the site.
- We will maintain the mandatory distance (2 metres) as a minimum and we expect that this will be adhered to at all times by anyone we might encounter on the site.
- We will wear a face covering and we expect that this will be adhered to at all times by the person we are meeting and anyone else we might encounter within a building or other enclosed space on the site.
- We will wear disposable gloves to avoid touching any surfaces.
If you have any questions or queries concerning the above please contact us by email in the first instance: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 01403 215151.