Coronavirus: Building control service updates
We are pleased to let you know that while the offices may be shut, our staff are working remotely and the Building Control service remains ‘open for business’. However, to protect both you and our employees, we have had to introduce some changes in the way we provide our service provision.
Building Regulations applications
These can be submitted online in the normal process using the following link:
- Please make sure you include your email address and contact number so we can respond electronically to you.
- If you need help in completing an application online do contact us, by email in the first instance and not by post.
Booking a site visit
When booking a site visit we will ask you the following:
- If anyone at the site (property owner or builder) to be visited has been ill and displaying the coronavirus symptoms: a new, continuous cough or a high temperature.
- If anyone at the site (property owner or builder) has travelled abroad within the last 2 weeks;
- Could the inspection be carried out in the absence of the builder / homeowner if necessary?
- Will there be vulnerable people on the premises?
If anyone at the site is ill or visited the countries stated, we will seek to delay our visit for a fortnight.
If there are vulnerable people on the premises we will talk to you, in the interests of personal and public safety, about whether a site visit can take place.
Types of site inspections
To reduce personal contact we will be undertaking only statutory external inspections of properties.
- Our officers will minimise their contact with all people on site (no handshaking)
- Our officers will maintain at least the mandatory distance (2 metres) and instruct that this is adhered to at all times.
Arrangements are in place to accept photographs and video in lieu of a physical inspection for certain types of inspection.
Requests for inspection should be made in the normal manner on our Book a site inspection page and the surveyor will contact you to agree the method of inspection and the information required. This should be submitted on the same day to demonstrate compliance.
It is important to remember that without suitable and sufficient evidence of compliance we may not be able to issue a completion certificate at the end of the works.
Contacting building control
If you have any questions or queries concerning the above please contact us by email in the first instance: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 01403 215151.