Plan a street party or event

The information on this page covers road closures for events and applications to use Council-owned public spaces.

For detailed guidance on holding an outdoor event, please read our Guide to organising outdoor events.

For detailed advice on holding a bonfire or fireworks event, please read the Department for Communities and Local Government guide to celebrating bonfire night

Temporary road closures

If you are planning to hold a street party or community event and wish to use the public highway it will be necessary to officially close the road. To do this, you need to apply for a Temporary Road Closure Order (TRO).

A Temporary Road Closure Order is required for any event which may stop the flow of traffic on the public highway within the Horsham District, for example carnivals, parades, processions and shopping events.

How to apply for a TRO

Applications should be submitted at least six weeks in advance of the event or sooner if possible.

  • To close the road for a community event there is an administrative charge of £100 per application and organisations making application should have public liability insurance cover for the sum of £10 million.
  • To close the road for a street party there is no administrative charge and the usual insurance requirements do not apply

It is the applicant's responsibility to check with our Licensing Department to see if any particular licenses are required for events that are proposed to be held for which the temporary road closure has been applied for.

Download the application form below and return it to Property & Facilities Department, Horsham District Council, Parkside, Chart Way, Horsham RH12 1RL.

Apply for a road closure

On receipt of the application form, the necessary consultation procedure will be carried out and you will be sent a copy of the Council's standard conditions and form of indemnity to be signed and returned, together with a copy of the advertisement notice for you to display on site.

Some further and more detailed guidance notes covering various aspects of such events will also be sent to you to help you with the planning and smooth running of your street party.

View upcoming road closures and open applications

Planning an event on Council-owned parks and open spaces

If you are planning an event on Horsham District Council-owned green spaces, for example Horsham Park, please read and complete the application form below.

This applies if you are planning a fete, festival, exhibition, circus and all other events of a charitable or commercial nature.

This land is managed by our Parks & Countryside department. For more information, please email

Apply to use Council-owned space