Polling District and Polling Station Review 2019
The Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013 requires a review of all polling districts and polling places to be completed by 31 January 2020. Subsequent compulsory reviews must be started and completed within the period of 16 months that starts on 1 October of every fifth year after 1 October 2018.
The aim of the 2019 review is to ensure that:
- All electors in the local authority area have such reasonable facilities for voting as are practicable; and
- So far as is reasonable and practicable, polling places are accessible to all electors including those who are disabled.
The Council welcomes representations or comments on the existing provision of polling places from any elector within the Horsham District, or any person or body with expertise in access for persons with any type of disability.
Public notice of the review is attached below, along with documents showing the current polling districts within each parish and the associated polling places and polling stations.
A major review of polling districts and polling places was undertaken last year to take account of the new District wards introduced with effect from May 2019. For this reason no changes to polling places are proposed by the Council in the current review.
Current list of polling stations with Returning Officer comments
What is a polling station?
A polling place is the building or area designated by the Local Authority, within each polling district, in which polling stations will be located by the Returning Officer. The polling station is the room or building where polling takes place. Sometimes it may be necessary for two polling stations to be located in one building or for a polling place to be outside the polling district if no suitable venue can be found.
Comments on the review
- Tuesday September 24: Notice of Review and the start of the review process
- Monday 14 October: Publication of the Returning Officer's responses
- Monday 11 November: End of consultation
- Late November: Publication of Final Report to Governance Committee
- Early December: Governance Committee Meeting (to approve recommendations to Council)
- Wednesday 11 December: Council meeting - final approval of review