Virtual competition where competing team scores are compared on a leader board
- 2 safe archery events (3 arrows per event)
- Individual golf putting (6 putts)
- Individual golf chipping (6 chips)
- Boccia target wedge (6 throws)
- Boccia target hoops (6 throws)
- Disc golf putting
- Disc golf distance targets (8 throws)
- Bean Bag throwing (6 throws)
- Velcro target throwing (6 throws)
With two coaches operating, events above will be conducted simultaneously, each coach working with a sub-group of 6 boys or girls and then rotating
Ethos and fair play
- Fun and participation towards early athlete development
- Note that scores of all competing schools only declared publicly at the end of the competition period so as not to give an unfair advantage to schools participating later in the process
- Pupils undertake events and scored by HDSD staff on their own school site
- Preferably to take place on grass for reasons of space, safety (eg adequate distance between events) and comparability between schools
- Require a grass area at least 50 metres x 32 metres in dimension (roughly the size of a small junior football pitch). Event can be adapted inside or on a playground.
- Year 1+2 event
- Year 3+4 event
- Year 5+6 event
- Teams will consist of 12 pupils. Teams to be made up of 6 boys and 6 girls. Multiple teams can be entered for each age group.
Dates, times and session numbers
- All events and scoring to be undertaken by 30 November 2020.
- Dates/times of sessions to be arranged individually with schools on basis of mutual convenience.
- As a guide - assessment of a single team by 2 visiting HDSD coaches will take 60 minutes (not including set-up time).
- Coaches each to be charged at £33/hr, so the cost of testing a full team to be £66.
- Note that assessing 12 children at a time is the preferred approach but variations can be agreed if necessary to fit in with school needs
Weather, equipment and kit
- The events and assessment preferably to be done outside so weather needs to be reasonable enough to ensure this however inside adaptation to each event can be provided.
- We will require and provide each participating child to wear a race number (provided by HDSD) that corresponds to their listing on a pre-submitted declaration form.
How to take part
Individual shooting 1- How many points can you score from 3 arrows?
Players have 3 arrows to score as many points as possible. Coach will demo how to handle bow, attach an arrow and shoot. Players will be 4 metres away from the target and have 45 seconds to shoot their 3 arrows. Players will shoot individually at one standard target.
Scoring- White= 1pt Black= 2pts Blue= 3pts Red= 4pts Yellow/Gold= 5pts
Individual shooting 2- How many points can you score from 3 arrows on Jigsaw target?
Players will again have 3 arrows to score as many points as possible. Coach will demo how to handle bow, attach an arrow and shoot. Players will be 4 metres away from the target and have 45 seconds to shoot their 3 arrows. Players will shoot individually at a reserved safe archery target (Jigsaw side).
Scoring- White= 1pt Black= 2pts Blue= 3pts Red= 4pts Yellow/Gold= 5pts
Individual putting- How many points can you score putting 6 balls?
Players will have 45 seconds to putt 6 golf balls at a cone target. Player will have a golf putter. Cone target will consist of horizontal line of 5 cones (blue, red, yellow, red, blue) with the player 4 metres away. In the event the ball hits 2 cones upon putt, only the highest scoring cone will be awarded.
Scoring- Blue= 1pt Red= 3pts Yellow= 5pts
Individual chipping- How many points can you score chipping 6 balls?
Players will have 45 seconds to chip 6 golf balls at the chipping targets. Players will have a chipping wedge. 3 chipping targets will be spaced 2 metres apart from each other in a straight vertical line from the player. Players will chip all 6 balls on their own before the next player attempts.
- Target 1 (2metres away) - Rim shot but unsuccessful= 1pt, successful chip= 2pts
- Target 2 (4 metres away) - Rim shot but unsuccessful= 2pts, successful chip= 4pts
- Target 3 (6 metres away) - Rim shot but unsuccessful= 3pt, successful chip= 6pts
Individual wedge target shooting- How many can you score from 6 boccia balls on the wedge target?
Players will have 45 seconds to throw 6 Boccia balls at a wedge target, overarm and underarm throws are both allowed. Players will be 4 metres from the target and throw all 6 balls before the next player attempts. Wedge target scoring will be divided by 10, for example if you score 100 on the ramp it will equate to 10 points overall.
Individual hoop target shooting- How many points can you score from 6 Boccia balls on the hoop target?
Players will have 45 seconds to throw 6 Boccia balls at the hoop target, again overarm and underarm throws will both be allowed. Players will be 4 metres from the target and throw all 6 balls before the next player attempts. Hoop target will consist of 6 hoops set out in a triangle formation, 3 blue hoops will make the base, 2 red hoops the middle and 1 yellow hoop will be the pinnacle. Hoops to be taped together to stop the target from breaking formation. If the ball lands in the dead zone area between 2 hoops no points are scored for that ball.
Scoring- Blue hoop= 1pt, Red hoop= 3pts, Yellow hoop= 5pts
Individual putting- How far away from the target can you successfully putt in 45 seconds?
Players will attempt to putt into a disc golf target, upon successful putt they’ll move back a cone. Each player will have 1 frisbee and will have to collect it after each attempt. Cones will be spaced a metre apart in a straight vertical line from the target. An unsuccessful putt does not mean they revert back a cone. Forehand, backhand and overhead putts are all legal.
Scoring- For each cone between the player and the target a point will be scored.
Individual distance target hitting- How many points can you score from throwing 8 Frisbees?
Players will have 45 seconds to throw 8 Frisbees at a standing target. The target will consist of 3 vertical poles 8 metres from the player. Each target pole will be half a metre away from each other and in a horizontal line. Forehand, backhand and overhead putts are all legal. Points will only be scored upon hitting the target and not on proximity.
Scoring- outside poles= 1pt, middle pole= 3pts
Alternative throwing games
Individual Bean Bag throwing - How many points can you score throwing 6 bean bags at a target?
Players will have 45 seconds to throw 6 bean bags at a new age curling floor target. Player can throw overarm or underarm. Points will be tallied once all 6 bean bags have been thrown. If a bean bag is across two scores award highest one. Target will be 4 metres from the player.
Scoring- Scores are labelled on the target (1pt, 2pts, 3pts, 4pts, 5pts and 10pts)
Individual Velcro target throwing - How many points can you score throwing 6 Velcro balls at a target?
Players will have 45 seconds to throw 6 Velcro balls at a Velcro target. Player can throw both overarm and underarm. Player will be 4 metres from the target. Throwing will be individual. Highest score is awarded if the ball is across 2 scores.
Scoring- Scores are labelled on the target.
Download the Target Games risk assessment