Hackney Carriage taxi licences
In this section
Apply for a Hackney Carriage driver licence
A three-year taxi driver licence costs £356.00 on first application, not including test fees.
To apply for a taxi driver licence you will need to complete the following steps:
- Contact the Licencing team at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application form.
- Complete and return the application, then pay £35 in advance for the licence byelaws and dementia/human trafficking test
- Read our Criminal Convictions Policy
- Read the Hackney carriage byelaws to prepare for the byelaws test
- Read the Human trafficking and dementia awareness guidance to prepare for the dementia/human trafficking test
- Prepare for the verbal knowledge test - an example question is at the bottom of the driver licence guidance notes
- When you are ready, email email@example.com to book your tests
On your test day, please bring the following with you:
- Payment - £356.00 for the licence, £44 for the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and £17.25 for a DVLA Data Protection Consent Mandate. You can pay this as one cheque for £417.25
- Passport, driving licence and birth certificate, proof of address. These are required to complete your DBS and Data Protection Consent Mandate, which will both be done on the day once you have passed your byelaws test
- If you do not hold a UK passport or have lived outside the UK for more than six months (excluding armed forces), you may be required to obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct from the countries you have previously lived in
You will also need to pass a Driver Assessment (information below) and a group 2 medical with your General Practitioner (GP). Please click HERE to download the medical form.
The Driver Assessment costs £90.
Read the driving test guidance for this, then book and pay for your test online.
Our Hackney carriage licence fees are valid until 31 March 2021. A three year licence renewal fee is £256.00
|Length of licence||Renewal fee|