Contact us

The Parkside offices for Horsham District Council are open to the public for selected services. Please call us on 01403 215100 before your visit.

The Hop Oast Depot is also closed to the public, which means you cannot currently collect Bulky Bags from the Depot. Bulky Bags must be ordered for delivery.

You can continue to access Council services online: please help family members and neighbours to access services if necessary.

Contact LGSS about Council Tax and Benefits

We work with LGSS to collect Council Tax. Contact LGSS about Council Tax.

Contact the Council online

The easiest way to contact the Council is our online form. Click the button below to contact us online.

Contact the Council online

Urgent housing and homelessness enquiries

If you are homeless or facing homelessness please contact us by email For Homeless Outreach Support contact us 9am-5pm Monday-Friday on 07736 268902.

Department contact details

Call 01403 733144 to talk to our team about:

  • Recycling and waste collections
  • Bin orders
  • Bulky household waste collection service
  • Bulky Bags
  • Litter and street cleaning
  • Dog waste bin emptying
  • Abandoned vehicles
  • Fly-tipping
  • Recycling Education and Awareness
  • Business waste services
  • Waste management, education and awareness
  • Waste management enforcement enquiries
  • Waste minimisation, composting and awareness

For commercial waste enquiries, please email

Development management (including planning applications)

For queries relating to Planning applications, Land charges and Development management:

If you are contacting the team about a specific application, it is helpful if you tell us the Planning Reference Number. Visit our Development Management team page for officer names and titles.

Strategic Planning (including Local Plan)

For queries relating to Planning policy, the Local Plan and Neighbourhood Planning:

Building Control

Our surveyors are available to deal with case specific enquiries before 10.30 or after 15.00 Mon-Friday.

A duty surveyor is available to answer general enquiries on 01403 215151 from 15.00 to 17.00 Mon-Friday

Housing Benefits

Housing Allocations and Advisory Services

Contact your Housing Association

Please contact your own Housing Association landlord with any queries regarding:

  • Housing Management
  • Housing Rents and Arrears
  • Housing Repairs

Renovation grants and private renting

Call 01403 215405 to speak to our team about:

  • Housing Renovation Grants
  • Private Sector Housing (including caravans)


Call 01403 215641 to speak to our team about:

  • Animal welfare
  • Nuisances
  • Food hygiene
  • Street trading
  • Tattooists and acupuncture
  • Caravan licensing
  • Drainage

Hackney carriage and private hire licences

Call: 01403 215288 or 01403 215471

Alcohol licensing

Call: 01403 215525 or 01403 215578


Open spaces, parks, gardens and sports pitches

Call: 01403 215256

Children's playgrounds

Call: 01403 215256

Trees and woodlands

Call: 01403 215255

Contact our leisure centres

Fill in the Places Leisure online contact form or call the numbers below to get in touch with our leisure centres.

  • Billingshurst Leisure Centre: 01403 787500
  • The Bridge: 01403 211311
  • Pavilions In The Park: 01403 219200
  • High Places Horsham: 01403 219219
  • Steyning Leisure Centre: 01403 879666

Contact Rookwood Golf Course

Contact our cultural venues

Horsham Museum and Art Gallery

The Capitol theatre, cinema and cafe

Get in touch by phone or email

Using the Text Relay service

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired, you may find the Relay UK service useful when calling us. Once you have downloaded the Relay UK app, you will be able to type your message to us and we'll be able to respond in the same way.

Find out more about Relay UK

Make a comment or complaint

If you are unhappy with the service that we have provided you can share a comment or make a complaint to us easily online.

Make a complaint

The public is entitled and encouraged to contact the Council and to receive replies. Contacts may comprise comments, representations on planning applications, criticisms of a policy which the Council has adopted, information useful to the Council, requests for services or formal complaints. Find out what types of complaints we accept.

Where a matter is sufficiently serious to accord with the definition of a complaint and cannot be resolved through informal contacts or discussion, your expression of dissatisfaction will be treated as a complaint. The Council follows a two stage initial process. A third external process may be available.For information about how we process complaints, please read our complaints procedure.

Find us

Horsham District Council
Chart Way
West Sussex
RH12 1RL

Our offices are only open for selected services. Please call 01403 215100 before your visit.

Disabled access

  • There are two disabled parking places at the front of the Parkside building. If you need to park on site at Parkside, please contact us in advance so that arrangements can be made.
  • We have two accessible/disabled parking bays by the side of The Capitol Horsham theatre and cinema. There is a pedestrian crossing, and there is level access.
  • There are further accessible bays in North Street car park and many regular sized parking bays.

Contact another organisation


Find national Government service and information.

West Sussex County Council

Find County Council services and information, including schools, social care, highways and roads.

Parish and Neighbourhood Councils

Contact your local Parish or Neighbourhood Council.