Save money on your energy bills
Saving energy is good for the planet and good for your pocket. Reducing energy use at home cuts carbon emissions, the main contributor to climate change, and reduces your fuel bill.
Apply for free home energy saving visit
If you're struggling to pay your heating bills, or worried about how you might pay them whilst keeping warm, we can help. Working with the Local Energy Advice Partnership (LEAP) we can offer a free home visit to eligible people. If you're on a low income or have a long term health condition you could qualify.
To find out more, including how to to apply, click the button below to visit the LEAP website and apply for a home visit.
Small changes, big savings
Make these small changes to save energy and cut your bills. Track your progress with a smart meter, or borrow an electricity monitor from any of the libraries within Horsham District.
- Close the curtains at dusk to stop heat escaping
- Draught proof windows and doors, but avoid blocking air bricks and ventilation points
- Switch off lights if you’re the last one out
- Avoid leaving appliances on standby, and turn off chargers when not in use
- Only boil as much water as you need (but remember to cover the elements of electric kettles)
- Fill up washing machines and dishwashers and avoid half loads when you can
- Washing lines and airers are cheaper than tumble driers. If drying clothes inside, open a window (even if for a short while) to let the moisture out
- If you feel too warm, try turning your thermostat down by 1°C rather than opening window. Please don't let yourself be cold, it is harmful to your health.
National Energy Action has a great website full of hints and tips on saving energy and avoiding damp and condensation.
Warm Homes Discount
The Warm Home Discount is £140 credit applied to your electricity bill. If you are receiving pension credit you will receive the Warm Home Discount automatically. You can also apply to your energy company if you are on a low income, or struggle to pay your energy bills and ask if you are eligible.
To find out more, including eligibility and how to apply, visit gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme
This discount is allocated on a first come, first served basis.
Park Home (mobile home) residents who buy their electricity from a site owner can also apply for the Warm Home Discount by contacting Charis Grants.