In the event of a flood, we will prioritise sandbag use to:

  • Protect local essential services such as hospitals and sub-stations
  • Defend strategic areas – e.g. divert water away from key access routes where people are at risk

This is in line with West Sussex Sandbag Protocol.

We will not provide sandbags to residents for personal property. Responsibility for protecting personal and commercial property from flooding lies with the occupier.

For advice on how to use sandbags properly for flood protection, please read the guide to using sandbags.