Blocked drains and flooding

Find out which organisation you need to report blocked drains or flooding issues to below.

Report road flooding or an overflowing gully to West Sussex County Council

Floods on roads and roadsides, including blocked gullies, damaged manhole covers, ditches and streams, should be reported to West Sussex County Council. You can do this online or call 01243 642105

Report road flooding

Blocked drains on private property

If you have a blocked drain on your property, contact Southern Water. You can do this online or call 0330 303 0368

A drain on your property which serves only your property is your responsibility to maintain, repair and unblock where necessary.

A drain which serves only your property but which is located on someone else's land is the responsibility of Southern Water.

Drainage which serves blocks of flats, commercial buildings and more unusual situations may vary from the above and should be discussed directly with Southern Water

Find out more on the Southern Water website

Blocked drains on public property

Blocked drains on public property, such as car parks, open spaces like The Forum and our parks and countryside sites, should be reported to our Property team. Email

Email the Property team

River and watercourse flooding

If you have watercourses next to or under your property you may be a riparian owner. For more information please visit the Riverside ownership: rights and responsibilities government web page on