In order to secure an animal boarding licence, your business must meet the conditions in the legislation and the guidance set by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA):
- General conditions (Schedule 2 of the legislation)
- Specific conditions for animal boarding (Schedule 4 of the legislation)
- DEFRA guidance notes for providing boarding for cats
- DEFRA guidance notes for providing boarding for dogs in kennels
- DEFRA guidance notes for providing home boarding for dogs
- DEFRA guidance notes for providing day care for dogs
A Council officer or vet may inspect your premises before giving you a licence, and any time after the licence is granted. Some visits will be unannounced as required by the legislation.
The more conditions you meet, the better chance you have of being granted a longer licence.