Guidance notes: Applying to drive a private hire vehicle
These guidance notes explain the process of applying for a private hire driver licence.
An applicant must have be 21 or older and have held a full DVLA driving licence for at least 12 months prior to the date of application.
What you need to do to get your licence
All new applicants must:
- Pass a verbal test on the Private Hire Licence Conditions, which you can print from the website.
- Pass a verbal test on Human Trafficking/Exploitation of Vulnerable Persons and Dementia
- You will also be required to know where the major villages are located within the Horsham District.
- Pass HDC Taxi/Private hire driving assessment test and produce the pass certificate to the Council.
- Pass a Group 2 medical with your GP practice (forms supplied by the Council).
- Pass the Taxi Safeguarding Course, supplied online by The Blue Lamp Trust or by West Sussex County Council. Once you have completed the course you will be required to submit the certificate to the Council that will be electronically sent to you.
- Complete a Disclosure and Barring enquiry form (forms supplied by the Council). The fee of £44 must be paid to the Council by applicant.
- Produce passport, driving licence, birth certificate and recent utility bill or credit card statement or bank statement.
- Supply details on application form of two non-related referees of standing or ex employer.
- Complete a DVLA Data protection consent mandate (form supplied by council) the fee for this is £5.75 and must be paid to the Council by the applicant.
- Pay a fee of £96 for the licence and £44 for the Disclosure and Barring Service Disclosure and the £5.75 for the DVLA check. This can all be paid on one cheque.
The fee for a licence is £96 on first application, which does not include a £35 (non refundable) fee for the licence conditions test.
A fee of £44 for the Disclosure and Barring Service Disclosure must be paid to the Council on the day of your test in addition to the licence fee together with a fee of £5.75 for the DVLA Data Protection Mandate check.
This can be paid on one cheque.
Apply and prepare for your test
Complete the Private Hire Driver application form and return with the £35 (non-refundable) fee for the test, which must be paid by cheque.
Print off the conditions, dementia and human trafficking from the website which you must learn.
When you have prepared yourself adequately, contact the Licensing office to book and appointment to take the test.
What to do on your test day
On the day of the test, please bring with you:
- Your remittance for £145.75 for licence
- Enhanced DBS Disclosure and DVLA Check. Cont/over44. As a requirement for the Disclosure and Barring Service you will be asked to produce your passport, driving licence and birth certificate together with proof of current address such as a recent within 3 months utility bill or bank statement.
When the conditions and Human Trafficking / Exploitation of Vulnerable Persons test has been passed you will be asked to complete the Disclosure and Barring Service enquiry form and a DVLA consent mandate and produce your passport, driving licence and birth certificate together with proof of current address such as a recent utility bill or credit card statement or bank statement.
At the same time you will be given the medical form to arrange your medical and directions to our website for information on how to book your driving test. The Licensing Office is open from 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday on an appointment only basis. Cheques should be made payable to Horsham District Council.
Produce or email in your pass certificate for completing the Safeguarding Course with The Blue Lamp Trust.
Links to further guidance
Links to online forms
Contact the Licensing team
If you require any further information about the procedure, please contact the licensing office at email@example.com