Private hire licences
In this section
Please visit our Coronavirus guidance for taxi and private hire drivers page for more information and email any queries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Check the Government Website for the latest Coronavirus updates.
Apply for a private hire driver licence
A private hire vehicle, also known as a minicab, may only carry passengers who have pre-booked a journey through a licensed operator.
A private hire driver licence costs £96 on first application, not including test fees.
To apply for a private hire driver licence you will need to complete the following steps:
- Read the private hire driver guidance notes
- Fill in our online form and pay £35 in advance for the licence conditions test
- Read our Criminal Convictions Policy
- Read the private hire licence conditions to prepare for the licence conditions test
- Read the Human trafficking and dementia awareness guidance notes to prepare for the dementia/human trafficking test
- Make sure you know where all the major villages are in the district
- When you are ready, email email@example.com to book your tests
On your test day, please bring the following with you:
- Payment - £96 for the licence, £44 for the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and £5.75 for a DVLA Data Protection Consent Mandate. You can pay this as one cheque for £145.75
- Passport, driving licence and birth certificate, proof of address. These are required to complete your DBS and Data Protection Consent Mandate, which will both be done on the day once you have passed your licence conditions and dementia/human trafficking tests
- If you do not hold a UK passport or have lived outside the UK for more than six months (excluding armed forces), you may be required to obtain a Certificate of Good Conduct from the countries you have previously lived in
You will also need to pass the following:
- A group 2 medical with your General Practitioner (GP). We will give you the form on your test day
- A Driver Assessment, which costs £90. Read the driving test guidance for this, then book and pay for your test online
Our private hire licence fees are valid until 31 March 2021. A one-year licence renewal fee is £91 and a three-year licence renewal fee is £256. A three-year licence must run concurrently with a DBS.
|Length of licence||Fee|
|Three years (must run concurrently with DBS)||£256|