Improvement plans for Horsham Park Pond
21 Jul 2021
Essential improvement work is set to be carried out to improve the overall long term health of Horsham Park Pond from August 2021.
Horsham Park Pond whilst being a popular visitor attraction, also serves the key purpose of being an attenuation pond, gathering excess surface water, alleviating increased flow rates and capturing pollutants that may otherwise enter the River Arun.
The pond has now become heavily silted which reduces its capacity for storage.
The improvement work will include the dredging and excavation of silt which will need to be deposited in the park, near to the pond to dry out. Work of this nature has been undertaken twice before, latterly in 2002.
All works will be undertaken with as little inconvenience to parks visitors as possible and the physical impact and long term effect on the park will be minimised.
The planned improvements to the pond include;
- Removing the sediment in the bottom of the pond which in the long term will help to improve the quality of the water and the health of the pond for wildlife and biodiversity
- Reducing the number of fish by re-homing the healthy native varieties, which will be beneficial in terms of water quality and biodiversity.
- Selectively removing trees to create gaps in the fringe vegetation allowing more light in and opening up viewpoints (work starts from 2 August)
- Clearing a shrub area on the western side of the pond with a view to re-landscaping
- Aesthetic improvements to the duck feeding area, seating area, central path and new signage.
Commenting on the improvement plan Horsham District Council Cabinet Member for Leisure and Culture Cllr Roger Noel said:
I am pleased that we are in a position to start this vital work for our much loved pond in Horsham Park.
The planned improvements will provide an improved visitor experience and will help to support the wildlife both in the pond and on the surrounding areas.
Rest assured that we will keep any disruption to a minimum for both visitors and the habitats and species in and around the pond. All work will be carried out in full compliance with environmental and wildlife legislation.
The first stage of work will begin on August 2 when the pond area will be closed and the area will be cordoned off while contractors are on-site.
To find full details and to keep up to date with the project please visit our Horsham Park Pond Project webpage.