Carbon Reduction Action Plan
The Carbon Reduction Target Setting and Action Plan Report is a report commissioned by Horsham District Council to support us in our carbon reduction planning. It has been prepared by consultancy Anthesis.
A report to Cabinet on September 24 recommends targets for how the Council will become a carbon-neutral organisation as well as a short-term action plan. These are based on the Anthesis report.
The Anthesis report aims to:
- Identify key emission sources to target action and assess what emissions to include in the target
- Assess the implications of different target setting methods and make an informed and evidence-based decision on the most suitable target for the Council
- Identify key actions necessary to reach the agreed target and use the cost-benefit analysis to inform implementation
- Chapter 1 provides the context and drivers for action
- Chapter 2 reviews our 2018/19 footprint and the associated accounting principles
- Chapter 3 explores different methods for setting a carbon reduction target and the implications for each approach
- Chapter 4 centres on action planning
- Chapter 5 provides recommended actions, in line with the agreed target, and includes an estimation of cost and carbon savings
Read the full Anthesis report
Our carbon footprint
The council has worked with a consultant to calculate its carbon footprint for 2018/19. The total emitted was approximately 18,000 tonnes from the council’s activities; such as energy used in our buildings and from transport.
The carbon baseline has been used to set a target for reducing our emissions and to inform our action plan.