Ways to vote

Vote by proxy

If you aren't able to cast your vote in person, you can ask someone you trust to cast your vote for you. This is called a proxy vote and the person casting your vote is often referred to as your proxy.

Anyone who is registered can apply for a proxy vote. If you would like someone to vote on your behalf at a particular election, the easiest way to apply is online. You will need your National Insurance number to hand.

Apply for a proxy vote

Your National Insurance number is on your payslip, P60, or letters about tax, pensions and benefits. If you have lost your National Insurance number, you can visit the Government  website for information about how to find it.

The person you wish to appoint as your proxy can only act as proxy if they are 18 or over and they are (or will be) registered for that election or referendum.

A person cannot be a proxy for more than four people at any one election or referendum. No more than 2 of those people can be domestic electors. Domestic electors are voters who are neither overseas voters nor service voters. Please note, your proxy will need to attend your allocated polling station. If they are unable to do so, they will need to apply to vote by postal proxy.

Completing your application form

You can download an application form using the links above, and there are a few ways you can return it to us:

  • You can print the form, sign it and scan or photograph it then email it to elections@horsham.gov.uk
  • You can print the form and return it to us by post: Elections team, Horsham District Council, Parkside, Chart Way, Horsham, RH12 1RL.

When you apply for a proxy vote you must provide a reason. The table below  provides links to the relevant application form.

Reason for Proxy ApplicationApplication form

You are unable to go to the polling station for one particular election, for example, if you are away on holiday

Application form - Particular election

You have a physical condition that means you cannot go to the polling station on election day

Application form -  based on disability

Your employment means that you cannot go to the polling station on election day

Application form  - based on employment

Your attendance on an educational course means that you cannot go to the polling station on election day

Application form -  based on educational course

You are a British citizen living overseas

Application form -  living overseas

You are a crown servant or a member of Her Majesty's Armed Forces

Application form -  Crown Servant