In this section
Storrington air quality management
An Air Quality Management Area (AQMA) has been in effect in Storrington since December 2010 in areas of the village that are likely to exceed the air quality objective for nitrogen dioxide.
The AQMA in Storrington incorporates West Street, the High Street and part of School Hill and Manleys Hill. View a map of the area below and a detailed assessment of the area's air quality.
Map and report
- Storrington Air Quality Management Area Map (PDF File, 249.9 KB)
- Detailed Assessment Report of Storrington Air Quality 2010 (PDF File, 1.8 MB)
What is in Storrington's Air Quality Action Plan?
All AQMAs are required to have an Air Quality Action Plan that reviews all possible pollution reduction measures and assesses them in terms of pollution reduction, acceptability, cost effectiveness and feasibility.
Storrington’s Air Quality Action Plan has been developed in partnership with West Sussex County Highways Department. It is reviewed every 12 months as part of the annual progress reporting schedule required by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). Read the original Storrington Air Quality Action Plan 2012.
The measures recently taken forward for implementation to reduce traffic congestion and to aid air quality improvement in Storrington are:
- Weight restriction for lorries on B2139 Manleys Hill between the A283 Manleys Hill/High St mini-roundabout and Mill Lane car park entrance within the Storrington AQMA; and
- Restrictions for waiting, loading and unloading at any time on sections of North Street, The Square and West Street in Storrington.
Read about the different proposals considered in the Storrington Air Quality Management Scheme Proposals Review.
Action plan and proposal review
- Storrington Air Quality Action Plan 2012 (PDF File, 1.2 MB)
- Storrington AQMA traffic scheme proposals review 2017 (PDF File, 443.9 KB)
Does Storrington have a Low Emission Zone?
No. A low emission zone trial was carried out in 2014/15 and it was concluded that such a zone would not be possible. For more information, please read the Storrington Low Emission Zone Project Report.
Storrington Air Quality Steering Group
Storrington steering group has contributed to the development of the Action Plan and is the decision making body for the Action Plan measures to be taken forward. The most recent meeting of the group was held on the 31st January 2020. The notes from the meeting are available to view here.