Cooling towers and evaporative condensers
Premises with cooling towers and evaporative condensers must register with the council under The Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992. The reason for this relates to the control of legionella, or legionnaires disease.
Do you need to register?
If you are in control of a premises with a cooling tower or condenser you have a duty to notify us in writing.
You do not need to tell us if you have a cooling tower if:
- It contains no water that is exposed to air
- Its water supply is not connected
- Its electrical supply is not connected
If you make any changes to your tower or condenser you must tell us immediately.
How to register
To register your cooling tower or evaporative condenser, you need to complete the following steps:
- Print off and fill in our cooling tower application form
- Return the signed form to the Licensing Department, Parkside, Chart Way, Horsham RH12 1RL
Tacit consent applies. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period. If we have not contacted you, please get in touch with us.