The Great British Spring Clean
25 March to 10 April 2022
Every year Horsham District Council backs Keep Britain Tidy's annual litter campaign - the Great British Spring Clean - calling on #LitterHeroes across the District to help improve the environment on their doorstep.
Hundreds of thousands of volunteers from across the UK join together during this campaign giving their time, enthusiasm and excitement to show some love for those special places that continue to help us through this pandemic and beyond.
The Great British Spring Clean campaign will take place this year from 25 March to 10 April 2022 when once again we have not doubt that our amazing volunteers will rise to the challenge in supporting their local environment.
Adopt A Street
One of the key ways that we support this campaign is through our Adopt a Street initiative.
Adopt a Street is now supported by hundreds of volunteers across the District who have signed up to support their local community through litter picking initiatives. We offer help through the loan of equipment to help you in your work - whether it is bin bags or pick up sticks.
We will also collect any litter that you have picked up. Please contain the litter within sacks, bring it back to your address and let us know the location by calling 01403 733144 at Adopt a Street and we will collect it from you.
NOTE: Due to high demand there is no longer any availability of equipment in March. However if you would like to sign up to Adopt A Street as a local litter-pick volunteer or community group going forwards we would love to hear from you.
Litter remains a huge problem across the country, causing harm to the environment and wildlife.
- Keep Britain Tidy recently revealed that street cleaning costs taxpayers more than £1 billion every year.
- RSPCA announced that they receive an average of 14 calls a day about wildlife harmed by litter, with the organisation suggesting the actual number of animals affected by rubbish is likely much higher.
- Around 244 million cigarette butts are discarded as litter every year.
- Every year Horsham District Council’s Waste and Recycling team sweep up litter from over 1,600 miles of streets
- We now support hundreds of local Adopt a Street volunteers across the District, all helping to keep their communities clean and tidy.
Litter may be a major problem in the UK, but organisations such as Keep Britain Tidy are trying to turn the tide and address this crisis.