Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a monthly payment for people of working age on a low income. It is administered by the government’s Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Universal Credit Migration - from February 2024

The DWP has started issuing Universal Credit Migration Notices to customers in West Sussex letting them know that one or more of their benefits will be ending and inviting them to apply for Universal Credit. This will continue throughout 2024/25, with some customers being migrated as late as 2028. Customers already on Universal Credit will not receive a Migration Notice. If your letter does not have a deadline date, this isn’t your Migration Notice, and you don’t need to claim Universal Credit unless you want to.

If you receive a Migration Notice, one or more of your benefits will end by the deadline date on the letter. If you still need financial support after this date, you will need to claim Universal Credit instead.  You should make your claim before the deadline date.

Further information about the migration can be found from the DWP.

You can also receive support from Citizens Advice

If you need help understanding your Migration Notice or to complete the application for Universal Credit, you can call Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm or webchat at:

0800 phone numbers are free to call from mobiles and landlines.  Advisers have access to both language and BSL interpreting services, and all Citizens Advice services are completely free of charge and confidential.

What is Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs and replaces the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income Related Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

To find out if you are eligible for Universal Credit, visit the Government website.

If you are living in supported accommodation or are of pensionable age, you will need to continue claiming Housing Benefit, not Universal Credit.

Universal Credit is separate to Council Tax Support. If you are claiming for Universal Credit for the first time, you should apply for Council Tax Support straight away too: you do not need to wait for your Universal Credit claim to be approved.

Claim Universal Credit

Make a claim for Council Tax Support

Help to Claim advice service

Horsham Jobcentre Plus provides a free service to help residents claim Universal Credit. Find out more about the Universal Credit: Help to Claim service.