Register a food business

If you use a commercial or domestic premises within the Horsham district to undertake

  • storage
  • preparation
  • packing
  • selling
  • or other distribution

of food which is to be supplied to the public, then you may be legally required to register as a food business with us.

All new food businesses must register with us at least 28 days before opening.

If you are making significant changes to an existing business, such as a change of trading name or the address or a moveable premises, you must tell us within 28 days of the change.

Examples of food businesses include restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, lunch clubs, children nurseries offering snacks, caterers or bakers working from home, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, and burger, hot dog or ice cream vans, amongst others.

There are some exceptions based on factors such the frequency of operation. Parents baking cakes for a school fair a few times per year are not considered to be a food business, for example. If you are unsure whether you need to register, please email

for advice.

How to register your food business

To register your food business, click the button below and fill in the online form.


Register a food business

There is no charge for registration and local authorities cannot refuse to register premises.

If you have multiple vehicles associated with your business, you do not need to register them separately; simply tell us how many you have and where they are kept when you apply.

If you have premises in more than one Local Authority area, you must register with each Authority separately.  However, in the case of a movable premises operating in various Local Authority areas, you should register with the Authority where the vehicle or stall is primarily stored, normally overnight, rather than where you normally trade.

Registration is required under Article 6 of EC 852/2004.

After you register

Our target completion period is 28 days from the date you apply. If you have not heard from us by then, Tacit Consent applies. This means you will be able to act as though your application has been granted.

Once granted, your registration will not run out. However, you must tell us if you make any changes to the business after your original registration. Email us at

Register for Business Rates

Business rates, also known as national non-domestic rates, are a tax on those responsible for commercial property. Business rates contribute to local services - they are they equivalent of Council Tax for non-domestic properties.

Register for business rates