Skip to content

Personal licence

A personal licence allows the holder to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol in any premises covered by a premises licence.

If you are named as a Designated Premises Supervisor on a premises licence application, you will need a personal licence.

You may only hold one Personal Licence at any time, which will be valid for the whole of your lifetime, but may be revoked if you are convicted of a relevant criminal offence, have to pay an immigration penalty, or are found to have given incorrect or misleading information in your application.

A personal licence costs £37.

To apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol, you must:

  • Be over 18
  • Have a legal right to work in the UK
  • Hold an alcohol licensing qualification. To get the qualification you usually have to complete a one-day training course followed by a multiple choice exam. Find a list of course providers here

How to apply

To apply for a new personal licence, you need to complete the following steps:

Return the two signed forms to us along with:

  • Two passport-sized photographs (check the guidance for full criteria)
  • Your original personal licence qualification
  • An original of a criminal record check issued within the last calendar month from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). Apply for a DBS check
  • Copies of documents that prove your legal right to work in the UK

We will consult Sussex Police if you have any unspent convictions, and the Home Office if you have been required to pay a civil immigration penalty or if your right to work documentation is not clear.

Apply for a personal licence

Change your personal licence details

If you hold a personal licence issued by us you need to notify us in writing of any changes to your personal details, such as a change of your name or address. The charge for this service is £10.50.

If your personal licence has been lost or stolen, we can replace it for a fee of £10.50