In this section
Apply for a premises licence
A premises licence allows the holder to use a specific premises for licensable activities, including the sale and supply of alcohol, regulated entertainment (such as live performances and film screenings) and the provision of late-night refreshment (between 11pm and 5am).
To apply for a premises licence you must:
- Be over 18 years of age
- Be eligible to work in the UK
- Have a plan of your premises, an idea of how many people will be attending and an operating schedule
To apply for a new premises licence, you need to complete the following steps:
- Read our premises licence guidance and application notes. These include conditions of the licence and guidance notes about the application form
- Calculate your licence fee using our Fees table below
- Fill out our Premises licence online form and print it. At this stage you can also choose to pay your fee online
- Fill out our Designated Premises Supervisor form and print it. Please note, if you are named as a Designated Premises Supervisor on a premises licence application, you will also need a personal licence
- Return both forms to us along with a plan of the premises. If you haven’t paid online, please include a cheque with the appropriate fee
- Send copies of the forms to the authorities on our Responsible Authorities list
Once you have applied you must advertise your application in a newspaper and your window. For guidance on the signage, check the application notes.
Premises licence fees
The fees for a premises licence are laid out below. There are five pricing bands, named A to E. The band your application falls into is dependent on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises.
|Non-domestic rateable value||0-£4,300||£4,301-£33,000||£33,001-£87,000||£87,001-£125,000||£125,000+|
|New application and variation||£100||£190||£315||£450||£635|
|Multiplier applied to premises used exclusively or primarily for the supply of alcohol for consumption on premises||N/A||N/A||N/A||x2 (£900)||x3 (£1,905)|
|Annual charge multiplier applied to premises used exclusively or primarily for the supply of alcohol for consumption on premises||N/A||N/A||N/A||x2 (£640)||x3 (1,050)|
*There are additional fees for premises licence applications, and the annual fee for exceptionally large scale events (5,000+), unless certain conditions apply. Please read Regulation 4(4) and 4(5) of The Licensing Act 2003 (Fees) Regulations 2005
Additional fees are listed in the table below. If more than 5,000 people are in attendance at any one time, additional premises licence fees begin to apply up to a maximum of £64,000 for over 90,000 people.
|Number in attendance at any one time||Additional premises licence fee||Additional annual fee if applicable|
|90,000 and over||£64,000||£32,000|
Register your interest
If you are a freeholder or leaseholder of a building, you can register your interest in the premises for £21 to become entitled to notifications about licensing matters relating to your property.
To register your interest, fill in our Notification of Interest form
If your premises licence has been lost or stolen you can apply for a replacement summary. There is a fee of £10.50 for this service.
Yes. An application for a provisional statement where a premises is being built costs £315.