Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)

Apply for relief or exemption from CIL

The CIL regulations provide for exemption and relief from CIL in certain circumstances, such as:

  • Social Housing (Affordable Housing) developments
  • Charitable developments provided by a charity for charitable purposes
  • Self-build developments
  • Self-build residential annexes
  • Self-build residential extensions
Horsham District Council do not offer discretionary social housing relief or exceptional circumstances relief at this time and reliefs and exemptions from CIL are not automatically available.

You must apply for the reliefs or exemptions that apply to your development by submitting the correct form. You must also submit an Assumption of Liability form for all claims, apart from the self-build residential extension exemption, before we can grant the relief or exemption.

An application for relief or exemption from CIL must be made before commencement of development. If the development commences before you receive a Decision Notice about your relief or exemption claim, the claim will be revoked.

If you think you are eligible for a relief or exemption of CIL, please submit a Relief or Exemption form. We will then send you a Decision Notice.