Household Waste Recycling Sites (local tips)

The Household Waste Recycling Sites are run by West Sussex County Council. Please visit the West Sussex County Council's website for further details.

There are two Household Waste Recycling Sites in Horsham District. For full information about these sites follow the buttons below to visit West Sussex County Council's website.

To use a Household Waste Recycling Site (HWRS) you will need to provide proof that you live in West Sussex. Access will be denied to the site if proof of address is not shown or you live outside of West Sussex. Find out more and view all acceptable forms of ID

Horsham (Hop Oast)

Viridor Waste Management, Hop Oast, Worthing Road, Horsham, RH13 0AR

View Hop Oast opening times


Viridor Waste Management, Newbridge Road, Billingshurst, RH14 9HY

View Billingshurst opening times

What can I take to the sites?


These sites provide recycling facilities for a range of materials including:

  • Batteries
  • Gas bottles
  • Mixed Paper and cardboard
  • Fluorescent tubes
  • Fridges and freezers
  • Tyres
  • Used lubricating oils
  • Household (non-lead acid) batteries and car (lead acid) batteries

Large items

The Household Waste Recycling Sites accept bulky household refuse and garden waste.

If your items are too big for you to take to the site, please consider our large item collection service.

Hazardous waste

You can take small quantities of potentially hazardous waste to the Household Waste Recycling Sites.

Hazardous waste has the potential to damage human health as well as the environment. It includes:

  • Fire extinguishers
  • Household products used in cleaning (solvents), gardening and DIY (thinners, paints)
  • Used engine oil
  • Pesticides
  • Fluorescent tubes
  • Electrical Appliances (TVs, computers, fridges)


Cement-bonded asbestos, which may be found in garage roofing and downpipes, can be disposed of at selected Household Waste Recycling Sites in the district. Find more details on the Asbestos page of the West Sussex County Council website.