Parish design statements
Town, Parish and Village Design statements are created and written by local communities who have a unique appreciation and understanding of their own place. They provide a detailed description of the existing character of a town, parish or village and set out guidelines on how to encourage new development that enhances and complements what already exists.
The intention of a Town, Parish and Village Design Statements is to ensure new development fits in with its surroundings and is in keeping with local character.
Whilst Design Statements are written by local communities, as the Planning Authority we oversee the process and provide advice and input where necessary. Eventually the statements are adopted as Supplementary Planning Documents.
Approved design statements
- Heath-Common-Screening-Opinion.pdf (PDF File, 281.1 KB)
- Heath-Common-Adoption-Statement.pdf (PDF File, 139.1 KB)
- Heath-Common-Consultation-Statement.pdf (PDF File, 353.9 KB)
- Heath-Common-Design-Statement.pdf (PDF File, 1.1 MB)
- Billingshurst-Design-Statement.pdf (PDF File, 8.4 MB)
- Henfield-Parish-Design-Statement.pdf (PDF File, 3.9 MB)
- Nuthurst-Adoption-Statement.pdf (PDF File, 290.1 KB)
- Nuthurst-Parish-Design-Statement.pdf (PDF File, 9.1 MB)
- Pulborough-Design-Statement.pdf (PDF File, 4.2 MB)
- Rudgwick-Parish-Design-Statement.pdf (PDF File, 3.9 MB)
- Shipley-Parish-Design-Statement.pdf (PDF File, 3.9 MB)
- Southwater-Adoption-Statement.pdf (PDF File, 142.0 KB)
- Southwater-Parish-Design-Statement (PDF File, 2.2 MB)
- Storrington-Sullington-Parish-Design-Statement.pdf (PDF File, 1.8 MB)
- Warnham-Parish-Design-Statement.pdf (PDF File, 1.1 MB)
The remaining Parish and Village Design Statements were adopted under the previous Planning Act by the Council as Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG).
- Partridge Green and Dial Post;
- Thakeham; and
- West Chiltington
Hard copies of all of the Parish Design Statements are available to view from the appropriate Parish Council offices.
After the revisions to the planning system, it was not possible to adopt any subsequent Design Statements as Supplementary Planning Guidance or Supplementary Planning Documents until the Core Strategy Development Plan Document was adopted by the Council. As a result the following documents were adopted as Interim Planning Guidance in the meantime:
Now that the Core Strategy has been adopted (2007), all the Design Statements published before its adoption will be subject to review to enable their conversion from Supplementary Planning Guidance or Interim Planning Guidance into Supplementary Planning Documents.
Combined Sustainability Appraisal and Strategic Environmental Assessment
Under the requirements of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act, 2004 and EU Directive 2001/42/EC (the SEA Directive), all local development documents must be subject to a Sustainability Appraisal (SA) and Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA).
Although each Design Statement is different, prepared by a unique community, the purpose and impact in sustainability terms are the same. Because of this it was possible to carry out a combined SA/SEA of all Village, Parish and Town Design Statements. The SA/SEA was adopted by the Council in December 2008 and covers all Design Statements currently being prepared and those already adopted as Supplementary Planning Documents.