Check your tradesperson has a waste carrier licence
If you hire someone to dispose of your waste, always make sure they are a licensed waste carrier. Otherwise, you could be fined or prosecuted.
Your waste is your responsibility
- Your waste is your responsibility until it is disposed of correctly.
- If your waste is found fly-tipped, you could be fined or prosecuted.
- Rogue traders may charge you then fly-tip your waste, leaving you with the fine
- Always ask to see a Waste Carrier Licence, and get a receipt for the work
It is your responsibility to check that any tradesperson you hire arranges for a registered carrier of waste to deal with any waste at the end of a project. For example, they could hire a skip or, if they intend to dispose of the waste themselves they must have a waste carriers licence.
What should I do before I hire someone?
- Ask to see their waste carriers licence. Many responsible tradespeople will provide their waste carrier’s license number on the advertisement. If not, they should provide it upon request
- If the person refuses to share their licence number, do not hire them. Waste Carrier Licences are public information.
- Check the licence number against the Environment Agency’s Register
I’m a tradesperson. How do I get a waste carriers licence?
It’s easy to apply for a waste carriers licence online. The licences are issued by the Environment Agency. Apply online using the button below.
I’ve already hired someone who doesn’t have a licence, what can I do?
If you have already hired someone who does not have a licence, we suggest the following options:
- Agree that they must obtain a licence before any waste is removed from your property
- Use our Bulky Bag service to dispose of your waste
- Hire a skip from a registered carrier of waste