Make a Building Control application
The Building Control Planning Portal allows you to make online building regulations application.
- It's free and easy to use
- It makes form filling quicker
- You can upload supporting documents of up to 5MB each easily. If you have multiple documents or large files, we recommend using Submit-a-Plan instead.
Not sure if you need approval? Visit our Do I need building regulations approval? page
For full details of charges, visit our Sussex Building Control fees and charges page
How to use the online service
To apply online using the Building Control Planning Portal, follow these simple steps:
- Set up an online Building Control Planning Portal account
- Start a new online application
- Fill in the nine sections of the form: Your details and the application type; Fire safety and public sewer; Use of building; Electrical safety; Windows and doors; Prescribed period; Trees; Party wall; Declaration. Once these are filled in, you will be able to save the form to come back to at a later date.
- Upload supporting documents
- You can either enter the agreed fee yourself or confirm you wish for us to contact you with your fee once the application is submitted
- Your application will be send to us automatically. Once we have downloaded it, the status of your application in your account will change from Submitted to Transferred.
Apply by email or post
To apply to us by email or post, please complete the following steps:
- Download the Building Control application form
- Read the guidance notes for the application form
- Read the building regulation charges for domestic extensions and alterations
- Fill in the form electronically (you can type in the text fields once you have downloaded it) or print it and fill it in by hand
- Email the form to us at email@example.com or post it to Sussex Building Control, Horsham District Council, Parkside, Chart Way, Horsham RH12 1RL
We recommend you select:
- Full Plans for major work such as new-builds, extensions, conversions
- Building Notice for minor works such as knocking down a wall
- Regularisation Certificate if you didn’t get building regulations approval for your building work. This option allows you to make a retrospective application
Application form and notes
- Building-Control-application-form.pdf (PDF File, 709.0 KB)
- Building-Regulation-Application-Form-Notes.pdf (PDF File, 360.8 KB)
Apply for a fee waiver due to Disability Declaration
You do not need to pay our fees if you are carrying out appropriate work for the benefit of a disabled person.
To request a Disability Declaration for your work, please download the application form and post it to us with your application form.