Temporary accommodation tenants

What is temporary accommodation?

If you are assessed as being in a priority need category according to homelessness legislation, we have a duty to provide you with interim accommodation.

If all our interim units are occupied, you will be offered bed and breakfast accommodation until interim accommodation becomes available.

Bed and breakfast facilities are likely to be outside of Horsham District (Brighton, Crawley, Horley, Worthing or Hove). The property you are allocated may not be in an area of your choice. With the exception of assistance dogs (as defined by the Disability Discrimination Act), pets are not permitted in these properties.

While every effort will be made to meet specific needs of individual households, Horsham District Council does not own any social or affordable rented housing. We refer applicants to registered providers when they come to the top of the list for housing.

Social and affordable rented accommodation is an extremely scarce resource in Horsham District and households are increasingly having to look to the private sector for accommodation to meet their needs.

Due to the extremely high level of demand, applicants are likely to wait a considerable period of time before they are offered social or affordable rented accommodation. To help minimise this time it is to your advantage to choose as many areas as possible on your housing application, including those where availability is more likely to arise.

Your Temporary Accommodation Officer will also be discussing private rented options with you at every opportunity to maximise your housing chances.

Report a maintenance issue

If you have a maintenance issue while you are living in temporary accommodation, please call the Council’s Mechanical and Electrical contractor Mountjoy on 01403 627597 or email horsham@mountjoy.co.uk