In this section
How we can help you if you are facing homelessness
Once you have contacted us to tell us you are facing homelessness, we will work with you to create a Personalised Housing Plan (PHP).
The PHP will be tailored to your circumstances and will help us work together to find a solution. The plan will take 60 to 90 minutes to complete.
We will discuss options with you such as renting privately, maximising your income by way of housing benefit, Discretionary Housing Payments and the Support for Mortgage Interest scheme, and negotiating with your landlord.
How we work with homeless people
It is regretful to see people having to resort to sleeping rough. Alongside partner agencies, we are fully committed to working with homeless people to resolve the issues they are experiencing and to assist them in finding a solution.
- We organise multi-agency support services for people in need to get them the help they require
- We provide financial support to secure appropriate accommodation wherever possible
- We provide a drop-in advice service at the council offices every weekday
- We have developed partnerships with Turning Tides, Horsham Churches Together, Horsham Matters. An outreach worker will actively seek out and engage with rough sleepers to assist them to access services and appropriate housing solutions
- We link in with partners at the Salvation Army, local church groups, Change Grow Live (drug and alcohol services) and other organisations.
Ways you can help the homeless
Use Streetlink to tell us about a rough sleeper
If you are concerned about someone sleeping rough in England or Wales, you can highlight them using the Street Link website. The details provided are sent to the council’s Homeless Outreach team to help us to locate the individual and connect them to support.
People wishing to support the homeless are urged to donate to charities rather than giving the individuals money, as this ensures that those most in need receive help in the right way and helps to break the cycle of homelessness.